Pubs & Clubs
Coventry-restaurants-Indian food-tandori-tikka-madras-vidaloo-naan-chapati-samosa-restaurant Coventry-delivery-takeaway-korma-biryani-Madra-Vindaloo-hotest food-Chapatis-cobra-indian.
Insert body text here ...
ZORBAZ GREEK RESTAURANT
87-89, Radford Rd, Coventry, West Midlands CV6 3BP
Tel: 02476 012641
Rojoni Indian Restaurant
477, Beake Avenue, Coventry, West Midlands CV6 2HT
Tel: 024 7633 2211
Radford is a suburb and electoral ward of Coventry, located approximately 2 miles north of Coventry city centre. It is covered by the Coventry North West constituency.
Radford ward is bounded by Holbrooks, Foleshill, St Michael's, Sherbourne, and Bablake wards. It is covered by the North East Neighbourhood Management area. It covers an area of 303.9 hectares.
Radford consists of four neighbourhoods; Radford Diamond, East Radford, West Radford, and Canal Basin. Radford Diamond is located approximately one mile to the northwest of Coventry city centre and is bounded by Barkers Butts Lane, Lawrence Saunders Road and the Radford Road with the Coventry-Nuneaton railway forming the southern boundary. East Radford is a small neighbourhood consisting of six streets of densely populated housing: Newfield Road, Dorset Road, Somerset Road, Widdrington Road, Kingfield Road and Aldbourne Road. The Coventry-Nuneaton railway bounds the area on one side whilst the Coventry Canal bounds the other. West Radford is a large neighbourhood with a population of approximately 3,800, located approximately two miles north of the city centre. The Jubilee Crescent area, the area around St. Augustine's School and the Beake Avenue/Radford Road area are the three distinct parts to the neighbourhood. The Canal Basin neighbourhood comprises Leicester Row, St Nicholas Street, St Columbas' Close and the Drapers Field development.
Originally Radford was a Roman settlement and this is borne out by some of the local street names inc' Villa road and of course its name Radford an abbreviation for roman ford (low river crossing) the ford originates from a natural spring from the rear of the now Gala bingo building and is adjacent to Poole road this can be found on old maps of the area when that land once belonging to the estate where the old Radford public house stood - there are still public rights of access if you wish to locate it exactly, interestingly the water now passes all the way it the City centre and provides Nauls mill park and pool with it water and then feeds into Swanswell park and pool. At the end of the 19th century, Radford was turning from a largely undeveloped rural area into one of Coventry's major manufacturing areas. The southern area of Radford benefited from the presence of the Coventry Canal and also the railway, and was served by Radford railway station, located on Sandy Lane. This was also the site of the Sandy Lane power station, which has now been turned into a mixed use residential and business development - Electric Wharf.
Possibly Radford's greatest historical claim to fame comes from its centrality in the birth of the British motor car industry. The Great Horseless Carriage Company was established in 1896 in converted cotton mill works, and renamed Motor Mills, between St. Nicholas Street, Sandy Lane, and the Coventry Canal. It included a red-brick office block with stone banding on Sandy Lane built 1907-8, and an electricity power house which was added in 1907. Soon after, the company changed its name to Daimler and shortly before World War I, they moved to a new factory at the Lydgate Road/Sandy Lane Junction. The factory was greatly extended during and after World War I to incorporate entrances on both Sandy Lane and Middlemarch Road. After a merger in 1960, the factory also became home to Jaguar, who remained there till production ceased in the mid-1990s.
Between the world wars, and for a short time only, Radford was home to an aerodrome situated close to the Daimler factory, the site of which is now taken by Joseph Cash Primary School and The Coventrians RFC.
During the "Coventry Blitz" in World War II, Radford became a major target for the Luftwaffe due to the presence of the Daimler and the nearby Alvis factories, who were both producing, munitions and essential vehicles for the British war effort. With the exception of the office block on Sandy Lane and the electricity power house, Motor Mills was destroyed in the blitz. On November 19, 1940, a landmine suspended by parachute was dropped by the Luftwaffe and exploded above ground, destroying St Nicholas Church, leaving only one course of stones standing. Some of the people seeking shelter in the church crypt were killed or injured.